California Academy of Appellate Lawyers
The California Academy of Appellate Lawyers is an election-only organization devoted to excellence in appellate practice. In late 2016, the CAAL Board of Directors sought to re-design and update an antiquated website in accordance with current industry standards and best practices. There were standard and custom feature requirements for the project (such as secure member login to access membership resources and to make profile updates), and it needed to remain within a pre-determined fixed budget.
The scope of the project was a full website re-design with standard and custom feature requirements, such as:
- Standard: Informational pages
- Custom: Secure login that authenticates users for access to members-only resources
- Standard: Membership directory
- Custom: Members-only user interface that allows authenticated users to update their own profiles in the membership directory
- Custom: System for uploading membership applications
- Custom: Calendar that allows authenticated CAAL administrators to make updates
- Custom: System that allows authenticated users to RSVP for events and pay dues through the website
Many business websites will have basic informational pages deployed along with business-specific unique functionality. To reduce costs of deploying such a website, we offer a unique solution. We implement the basic informational and standard components in our Blue Core CMS™ system (which has many pre-built common components); and then develop a completely custom web application for only the custom features needed. We then integrate the two websites such that that they present as one coherent website to the end-user. We proposed this unique solution to CAAL, a solution available exclusively through Smart Access IT, Inc.
The standard informational pages and website features (such as forms) of this website are delivered and managed via Blue Core CMS™.
The custom features developed specifically for CAAL were implemented in a custom ASP.NET Core web application integrated with its own SQL Server 2016 database. Security is implemented partially using IdentityServer4.
The custom features include administrative support for CAAL’s unique onboarding process; custom member profiles, advanced modern security implementation for authentication and authorization; and a few publicly visible CAAL-specific features, like the member directory.
- Responsive Design
- Informational Pages
- User Authentication / Secure Login via IdentityServer4
- User interface for making updates to user profile
- User interface for uploading membership applications
- Custom event notification engine to send automatic notifications to administrators for website activity of interest
- Advanced modernized security implementation for both authentication and authorization
- Custom onboarding process for processing new membership applicants
- Modern technique for password reset request and for email address validation
- Custom member directory, including search feature for finding members by zip code, practice area, etc.
- Blue Core CMS™
- jQuery 2.x
- Bootstrap 3.x
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- SQL Server 2016
- ASP.NET Core
- Adobe Photoshop CC
Built-In Website Features
Custom Website Features
CAAL had an existing website solution replaced by our hybrid solution. To minimize disruption to the existing user community, we migrated data from the legacy system to the new hybrid system; preserving as much historical data as possible.
The legacy system was not protected with SSL. The new system, including IdentityServer4 implementation, Blue Core CMS™ components, and custom ASP.NET Core web application are all protected by SSL.